In the holiday season the Saint Pierre fort, now converted into the Théâtre de la Mer (The Sea Theatre), plays host to theatrical and musical performances.
Following the attempted invasion by the English in 1710, a series of fortifications were put in place to protect the town. The fort was built between 1743 and 1746 at the point of the headland that overlooks the cliffs. It was made up of seven platforms, each equipped with cannon batteries, intended to protect the Saint Louis fort which use to stand at the end of the mole.
Later it was used as a barracks, then as a prison at the time of the conquest of Algeria, and later still as an annex to the military hospital. It was seriously damaged in the destruction perpetrated by the Germans in 1944, to the point where the interior of the building was in danger of falling into ruin. In 1970 it was rebuilt as a theatre, now known as the Sea Theatre.
Latitude : 43.39359
Longitude : 3.69235